Monday, May 18, 2009

Poem of mine

A Poem of what I go through that day, that faithful day.

Alone I lay on cooled stones
Alone I stay in the dark
Alone I pray to survive
Alone, no one care

Alone I look out to the people
Alone I yell shout and cried
Alone I seek out for help
Alone no one bother

Alone I saw something coming out
Alone I reached to my bag
Alone I sit in the cold
Alone, I was waiting.

Alone, yes, alone I stare at the buildings
Alone, yes, alone I saw people watching
Alone, yes, alone I wait for people to rescue
Alone, I was helpless.

Alone, yes, alone I pray to be safe
Alone, yes, alone I call out for help
Alone, yes, alone I was rescued
Alone, I was alone.

The accident reminds me of what happened to Kitty Genovese. The murder happened on March 13, 1964 in the streets of New York City. It was 3.15am, Genovese reached the parking away 100feets from her apartment. She was approached by Winston Moseley, a business machine operator. Moseley ran after her and quickly overtook her, stabbing her twice in the back. Genovese screamed, "Oh my God, he stabbed me! Help me!" When one of the neighbors shouted at the attacker, "Let that girl alone!", Moseley ran away and Genovese slowly made her way toward her own apartment around the end of the building.

It wasn't the end for her, so do he. Ten minutes later, Moseley came back with different appearances and attack her again. Stabbing her again and again and again. Rape her after she was dead. Took her money, and ran away.

When Moseley was caught, he said that because no one seems to bother after the first attack happened, and that's why he go back and stabbed her more. He knew no one would do anything. I cried for her, when I was reading the case. I seriously cried, and prayed for her. She could have been saved after the 1st attack. Over 40++ of her neighbors had heard her screams for help over 30 minutes and no one approach to her. The neighbors just turned off their lights and went back to sleep after the 1st attack.

How could you?! How could you all do this to her?!!! I could understand that you're afraid of getting hurt, but calling for a police, would that hurt you anyway?!!! No one had come to her aid, nor even calling police. Are people simply just too selfish and self-absorbed to help another human being in dire trouble?
After what happened to her, some psychologist researchers did something on it. And then, they came out with The Bystander Effect and Genovese Syndrome. The term Genovese Sydrome was coined to describe this do-nothing-to-help attitude and behavior. The bystander effect is a social psychological phenomenon in which, there's a very low possibility people will offer to help in a emergency situation.

I'm sorry for you, Kitty. I could feel what she had gone through that night, just like what I've gone through that day, that faithful day the accident took place. I yelled, I shouted, I cried...for help. People know, People saw, People watch...but they don't care, they don't bother. The only difference between the Genovese's case with my accident was, I'm still alive; She's dead.


No comments:

Post a Comment